Monday 3 January 2011

Packing Away Christmas

Today was the day that I packed away Christmas for another year.  It is always a little bit melancholy to let go of the festive period, after seeing friends and family and having a lot of fun everything can seem a bit grey and depressing.

To combat this I decided to make packing Christmas away part of the declutter mission.  Rather than just shoving everything in bags and boxes and then hiding it it the loft until next December, I decided to - stop press - be organised.

So I took my time.  As I took the decorations off the tree I checked each one to make sure it wasn't broken in anyway, gave it a quick wipe to remove any dirt or dust and packed it away.  Throughout this process I collected decorations I no longer wanted, especially those that I didn't use this year, for the charity shop.

I also took a note of all the decorations that I have so if I want to but anything, I can check to see what I already have.  During this process I found Christmas cards that I had bought in January 2010 and forgotten to use this Christmas.  70 in all! If I had remembered this, I would not have had to buy any this year, a saving of about £15.

The little notebook I have started will prove invaluable.  I have so far recorded any Christmas cards or wrapping material that I have left over as well as the decorations.  Hopefully I can avoid making the same mistake this year and not buy any Christmas cards! And knowing that everything has been packed clean, safely and are items I like will make decorating next year a one step process. Pure pleasure without any messing about.

What could have been just a dispirited process actually turned out OK.  Not just packing away, but preparing for next Christmas.  Makes it a little less down hearted.

The Declutter Diairist

3 comments:

  1. Great idea.
    I always get rid of any decorations I did not use, when I pack away the things I did use. I am going to organize and declutter my gift wrap stash today.
    Elin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you have created a ceremony of sorts to moving from christmas to the new year. It is a nice way to honor the festivities and I bet next year you will look at each decoration differently!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! It will be nice to have someone to go along this journey with together! http://slobaholic.blogspot.com/ Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Declutter Diarist4 January 2011 at 10:59

    Hi both, and thanks for stopping by and commenting. Definitely more upbeat about the end of Christmas this year, especially when I think about my lovely decluttered Christmas in 2011 to look forward to!

    DD

    ReplyDelete